Personal Licence Alcohol licence

Published on January 3rd, 2013 | by Dean Carr


What is an alcohol licence?

Do I need an alcohol licence?An alcohol licence is an authorisation for businesses, organisations, or individuals to sell or supply alcohol in the United Kingdom. This authorisation is granted by a licensing authority, usually a local council. The Home Office oversees the law and policy of alcohol licensing.

To check the alcohol licence rules, or have representation in your town or area, visit this handy page

Types of alcohol licence

Premises licence – required by any business or other organisation that sells or supplies alcohol on a permanent basis. This includes companies that sell alcohol by means of the internet or mail order.

Personal licence – required by anyone who plans to sell or supply alcohol or authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. To apply for a personal licence you usually need an award for personal licence holders (in England and Wales) or Scottish certificate for personal licence holders (in Scotland).

Club premises certificate – required by “members only” clubs (e.g. football clubs or working mens clubs) if they plan to sell alcohol.

Temporary event notice – required by anyone who plans to sell alcohol on a temporary basis (e.g. fetes). The supply of alcohol for free becomes a grey area, anyone considering this should visit the government page here, or leave a comment at the bottom of this article.

Alcohol licence laws in Northern Ireland

The alcohol licensing laws for Northern Ireland are a great deal more restrictive than for the rest of the United Kingdom. Any new pub or off-licence wanting to sell alcohol must wait until an existing one surrenders its alcohol licence. This is known as the “surrender principle”. A new licence is granted by the County Court under the surrender principle rules. A transfer of an alcohol licence (from one person to another) is a matter for the magistrates’ court.


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑
Read previous post:
Happy Christmas!
Happy Christmas and a prosperous 2013

A very merry Christmas! To celebrate Personal Licence Training Ltd have released a Christmas quiz on their facebook page