Alcohol Licence Law Licence objections

Published on February 7th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Alcohol Licence – Applying for a licence to sell alcohol in the UK

Alcohol Licence – Your guide to applying for a premises licence and a personal licence to sell alcohol.

We are asked on a regular basis the question ‘how do I apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol in the U.K?’ Since the introduction of the Licensing Act 2003, much of the old knowledge about application authorities and NCPLH qualifications has been rendered out of date. The new licensing regime has been implemented throughout England, Wales and Scotland, although Scotland is covered by its own distinct law, the Licensing Act (Scotland) 2005. More information about the Licensing Act 2003 can be found in Alcohol Laws and Licensing Laws.

(This information was revised and up-dated on: 27/04/2017)

Wherever you are in the UK, you require two licences to sell alcohol:

a) Personal Licence

b) Premises Licence

In terms of alcohol licensing, only these two licences are required- the Licensing Act 2003 abolished the numerous varieties of alcohol licences that previously existed.

 Applying for a Personal Licence:

 Step 1: The licensing qualification

To hold a personal licence, you are required by law to undertake a licensing law course and sit a licensing examination. In England & Wales, this licensing qualification is known as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Level 2. In Scotland, candidates are required to undergo training for the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) Level 6. Both have replaced the old qualification, the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH) Level 2, although training courses may still be advertised as such. Training locations and course dates can be accessed via the Personal Licence Training website.

Step 2: The application procedure

Upon successful completion of a licensing law qualification, a candidate may apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol. In England and Wales, this application is made to your Local Licensing Authority- the licensing department of your local council. In Scotland, the application is made to your Local Licensing Board.

Candidates are required to prove they have no relevant convictions. In England and Wales, this involves obtaining a basic Data and Baring Service check (DBS). In Scotland, checks on applicants are conducted by the police using the PNC data base.

The police have the right to object to a personal licence application if the applicant has a relevant offence under the Licensing Act. (however Police will consider certain factors prior to an objection, the rehabilitation of offenders Act, Juvenal offences, type of offence and time scales of an offence).

 Applying for a Premises Licence:

A premises licence allows licensable activities, such as the sale of alcohol or the provision of regulated entertainment, to be carried out within the premises in question. As with the personal licence, a premises licence application is made to your local licensing authority or, local licensing board in Scotland.

Alterations to an existing premises licence can be made through a variation of licence, effectively editing the terms of the existing licence. One example would be the extension of opening hours. This variation system, under the Licensing Act 2003, has replaced the old system of applying for extra licences to cover specific functions, however Temporary Event Notice may also be used to extend hours or activities.

There are four key parts to a premises licence application:

  • The fee
  • The operating schedule, in which the applicant details how he or she proposes to operate and promote the licensing objectives:
    The licensable activities to be carried out
    The proposed hours that the relevant licensable activities are to take place
    Any other times that the premises are to be open to the public
    The name and address of the Designated Premises Supervisor or Manager in Scotland
    Whether supplies of alcohol are to be consumed on or off the premises
    Any conditions the applicant would like to volunteer to help with the application
    If any limited period is involved, the period required
  • Detailed plans of your premises
  • The written consent of the person designated as the premises supervisor

You must also advertise your premises licence application by displaying a notice and publishing a notice in a local newspaper. Details of this process can be found in What is a Premises Licence?

A premises licence application or variation can be complex- our sponsors, PLT, can assist with premises licence services. More details on the premises licence can be found in Premises Licence to Sell Alcohol.

The Designated Premises Supervisor:

An individual who holds a personal licence can be nominated onto a premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). In Scotland, this person is known as the Premises Manager. A premises licence application cannot be completed without the nomination of a DPS, and a licensed premise cannot legally operate without a named DPS or Manager.

Need more information then Call PLT’s licensing team on: 01242 222188 as they maybe able to answer any questions or just send us a post and we will endevour to answer as quickly as possible.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. Hi Ernie,

    You only need to be licensed if your are actually selling alcohol to the general public. I have had several parties where I have bought alcohol from off-licences, supermarkets, etc and provided it for free. Even though you brewed the wine yourself, the senario is the same.

    Have a good party!

  2. Ernie Gibson says:

    I intend to hold a birthday party in the local public hall and will provide my home made wine free of charge to my guests .Do I require a licence?

  3. Jeremy says:

    Hi Ssukh,

    This depends on what you want the licence for…. The quickest way to get an answer is probably to give our sponsors a call (Personal licence training ltd), on 0845 388 9581, where their freindly staff will be happy to answer any queries you may have.

  4. Jeremy says:

    Hi Steven,

    No you do not need a licence, unless you propose to charge for the alcohol, or for entry to the venue, in which case you would need a temporary event notice.

  5. Ssukh preet says:

    I m new this site how con get the alcohol licence

  6. Steven says:

    Hi, I am trying to arrange a birthday party at a venue that is unlicensed, but I want my 50 guests to be able to drink alcohol. Do I have to apply for a temporary license to serve alcohol at this venue, or can we just bring alcohol and treat it as if we’re having a house party?
    Thank you.

  7. Mark says:

    Hi Tom,

    Take a look at our guide to mail order sales. Alcohol delivery is a tricky topic- from your point of view, delivery is not a licensable activity; from the seller’s point of view, the point of storage and dispatch must be licensed. This overlap basically means that if you are storing alcohol, you will need a licensed premises. I’d recommend talking to Jo Taylor (licensing consultant) at PLT (01527 544780) if your business plan is coming together and you need more specific advice. Best of luck!

  8. Tom says:

    Thinking of setting up an alcohol delivery company, what license(s) would i need?

  9. Mark says:

    Hi Gayle,
    For basic, two hour staff training, we recommend the Scottish Award for Licensed Premises Staff (SALPS) qualification. The course books can be purchased at Personal Licence Scotland.

  10. Mark says:

    Hi Nerijus,
    Take a look at our article on distance trading, which covers storage and dispatch.

  11. Nerijus says:


    I want to import beer and vine from Europe, and sell it in big amounts to Off Licenses & Shops, and i want to keep my supplies at my shop’s storage facility, do i need a license for that?

  12. Gayle says:

    Hi I’ve recently opened an off licence in Scotland & everyone who works in it has their own personal licence. I was thinking of employing more staff & was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as to which licensing handbook I should purchase to do the in-house training myself??

  13. Mark says:

    Hi Kelly,

    There are two licences required for the retail of alcohol: the premises licence and the personal licence. Although a mobile bar is not a fixed building, it is classed as a premises.

    Premises licence: There is a temporary version of the premises licence called a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), designed for occasional events, which may interest you as you test your business. We’ve recently updated our TEN article, click to read more.

    As the business expands, you will probably require a premises licence to cover the mobile bar, rather than relying on TENs.

    Personal licence: Every retail sale of alcohol must be made or authorised by a personal licence holder. As a result, there should be a personal licence holder behind the stall at all times to oversee sales. By law, a personal licence applicant needs to have completed a qualification known as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (in Scotland, the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders).

    For premises licence assistance and Award training, we recommend Personal Licence Training Ltd, licensing consultants.

    The very best of luck with your business venture!

  14. kelly says:


    I am thinking about setting up my own business running a mobile bar, plz can u tell me what licence i will need to do this, thanks kelly x

  15. Mark says:

    Thank you for your comment. A drink drive conviction is classed as a relevant offense during a personal licence application. The good news is that after a certain duration of time, a relevant offense becomes a spent conviction- in this case, it is certainly a spent conviction, and will not count against your licence application.

  16. admin says:

    Hi Jeanette,
    It’s nice to hear about these kinds of Christmas events! There are two licences required for any kind of retail of alcohol, the premises licence and the personal licence, and both are the responsibility of the stand owner.
    Premises licence: A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is a temporary version of the premises licence. You can apply for a TEN with the licensing authority (local council) local to the event location. A TEN can last for up to a week. In total, a premises/vehicle/stall can operate under TENs for a maximum of 21 days in a year. I’m assuming that this would be the best option for you- if you’re looking to run your stand for longer, you require a premises licence for the stall.
    Personal licence: Every retail sale of alcohol must be made or authorised by a personal licence holder. As a result, there should be a personal licence holder behind the stall at all times to oversee sales.
    Best of luck with your Christmas venture! For information on your TEN or personal licence application/training, i’d recommend calling Personal Licence Training Ltd, licensing consultants: 0845 388 5472

  17. Jeanette says:

    Hi, we are holding a Carnival and Gift Fayre this Christmas. We have a mulled wine stand attending to sell mulled wine to the general public on private land that abutts the council-owned pavement. Is it the responsibility of the stand-owner to provide a license? and if so, what license(s) should we be asking to have sight of? Grateful thanks for your reply.

  18. John Dodsworth says:

    I would like to obtain a personal license but I had a drink drive conviction in 1983 would this prevent me from obtaining a license.

  19. admin says:

    Hi Lindsey thank you for your comment, we have asked for some advice on this matter from Jo Taylor Licensing Consultant at Personal Licence Training Limited. Jo deals with hundreds of new licence application every year and is an expert on home alcohol delivery services. She can be contacted on 01527 544780. Her advice is as follows; “Because the business idea impacts on the sale of alcohol, you will need to make a major variation to the existing premises licence at the bistro. You may wish to wait until you have sourced alternative premises and start fresh from there. Please feel free to contact us for a no obligation quote on both of the processes.”
    You will also need to obtain a personal licence to sell alcohol by retail this can be booked online at or alternatively speak to Jo Taylor who can arrange this for you.
    Kind regards the licensing team.

  20. admin says:

    Hi thank you for your comment and we are sorry to hear of your sad loss. The law is as follows; if you are convicted in a court of law of a relevant offence under schedule 4 of the licensing Act 2003 then this would show on your Criminal Records Bureau check at the time of application. Cautions and on the spot fines would not show on your Criminal Records Bureau check. The Police officer was correct this should not affect your application for a personal licence to sell alcohol in your restaurant.
    You will however require both a personal licence and a premises licence for your restaurant and will need to be nominated on to the premises licence as the acting Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). To obtain a personal licence will need to attend a one day training course for the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Level 2. You can book a course online at or if you require help obtaining your restaurant licence or transfer of existing restaurant licence you can speak to Jo Taylor at personal licence training limited for some free advice.
    All the best with your new venture from the licensing team.

  21. Patrick says:

    Hi sir back in 2009 when I lost my father I was depressing and went out for drink where I ended up at the police station for drunk and disorder.i have spent the night there but I paid for the fine straight and the police officer told me that it will not go go my record.i am about to open a restaurant sometimes soon I would like to know if I can apply for licences?thanks

  22. lindsey phillips says:

    me and my friend are setting up a business to deliver alcohol… her family have a bistro to which she manages and has the premise licence for. we are planning to store our alcohol at the bistro until we find somewhere more suitable to store it but would we need a seperate premise licence for this. i know we will need one when we have our own storage facilities but im not sure if we need a seperate one with it being a different business

  23. Mark says:

    Hi Louise,

    Thanks for visiting!

    Stall holders need to be covered by a Temporary Events Notice, a temporary (and far cheaper!) version of the premises licence. These can be applied for via your local licensing authority, the licensing department of your local council.

    All retail sale of alcohol, made under a Temporary Events Notice or premises licence, must be made or overseen by a personal licence holder. The first step is to complete a mandatory qualification known as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH). Using this certificate, you can then apply for a personal licence, again via your local licensing authority. Personal Licence Training Ltd offer APLH training throughout the UK and also process licence applications- their number is 0845 388 5472.

    Good luck with your business venture!

  24. Louise says:

    Hi there,

    I’m planning to attend a couple of Christmas craft and produce fairs and wanted to sell some alcoholic Christmas gifts – such as mulled wine, flavoured vodka etc. Do I need a license for this, or is it possible that stallholders / exhibitors will be covered by the event organisers?

    Many thanks.

  25. admin says:

    Hi Craig best advice is to speak to your local police offer who looks after alcohol licensing in the area where you intend to use the double decker bus. I do know of several companies that operate this type venture and each bus is licensed individually. Let us know how you get on!

  26. Craig griffiths says:

    I am thinking of buying a double Decker bus and make it into a party bus. My plan is to have a set route of about 6 bars. Music lighting seats the works on the bus but I also want a bar on there to sell drinks. What will I need to be able to to this and how mich would it cost to have a bar? I am in northern Ireland

  27. Jeremy says:

    This issue seems to be getting very convoluted…. I get the impression that you do not want the charity to sell alcohol from your premises? If the premises licence is in your name, then only you can give permission to sell alcohol on that premises. The landowner cannot make the decision, if he does not posess the appropiate licence. I think in this case you need to get in touch with the licensing team at your local council (the issuers of the premises licence) to sort out what is apparently becomming a legal wrangle.

  28. Christine says:

    Sorry Mark but we have not given permission for this event to go ahead as there are irregularities. The problem is that they are still going ahead with it as they have permission from the landowner (not us). They have say they have a personal licence holder that will be present but surely they will need permission from my husband who is the DPS of the premises ???

  29. Christine says:

    Thanks Mark.
    The charity want to bring in their own alcohol and I’m not sure where they are obtaining it.
    Am I also right in thinking that if you sell alcohol then you have to be able to prove where you bought it from ?

  30. Mark says:

    Hi Christine,

    The premises licence will still be applicable to your premises, so no problem there. As the charity will be selling alcohol, a personal licence holder will need to be present to oversee the sales. This personal licence holder does not needed to be associated with your business or premises licence- a personal licence covers the holder throughout England and Wales (a Scottish personal licence is required in Scotland, and applies only to Scotland).

    The very best of luck with the event!

  31. Christine says:

    Although I have a personal licence & premises licence for my business I have been approached buy a local charity organisation that wishes to have an event selling alcohol on our premises whilst I am not there. If I give them permission is this legal ? As far as I know they do not hold a personal licence.

  32. Mark says:

    Hi Jane,

    Thanks for your enquiry. The licensing side of your business should be quite straightforward, as selling to local farm shops only would be classed as wholesale and wholesalers do not require a personal licence or a premises licence. The farm shops themselves would need the licences as the point of retail sale. Wholesale, as opposed to retail sale (business to customer), includes the purchase of alcohol from business to business and the sale of alcohol from business to business.

    It is worth noting though that any sale of alcohol to a member of the general public at your site or during transportation would be classed as a retail sale and would need to be licensed. Your point of contact for licensing and licensing information is your local licensing authority- the licensing department of your local council. Under the new licensing system (post Licensing Act 2003), your local licensing department handles all licence applications, as well as objections, appeals etc.

    The more complicated part of your business would probably be accurately testing the ABV of the cider and satisfying the environmental health department. Additionally, a food hygiene certificate would probably be required. Your local licensing authority will be able to forward these kinds of enquiries to the relevant departments.

    If you want to enter retail sale, consider how the sale is to be made: sale over a counter, internet order and/or van delivery. For internet orders, you do not need a premises licence in the office where the order has been received, however the place where the alcohol is dispatched from will need a premises licence. If alcohol is purchased using a delivery service, the place where the alcohol is stored would have to be licensed. In both cases, the garage of a residential property cannot be licensed.

    Please do not hesitate to post again if you have further questions! We can also recommend Personal Licence Training Ltd (01527 544780) for information and qualifications covering licensing and food hygiene.

  33. Mark says:

    Hi Simon,
    The very best of luck with your business venture! Firstly, you will require a personal licence, as every sale or supply of alcohol needs to be made or authorised by a personal licence holder.

    With regards to the premises licence, you will need to contact the shopping centre and find out if the centre is covered by a premises licence, or if individual shops hold separate premises licences, with alcohol to be consumed off the premises.

    If the centre is covered by a premises licence, your stall can be written into the current licence as a minor or major variation (depending on the current terms of the licence). Should your stall be included within such a premises licence, you will need to abide by the licensable activities and other parameters (such as opening hours) stated in the licence. If the current terms of the licence do not match the needs of your stall, the centre may wish to carry out a variation of the licence- ie. to change the terms of the licence. Note also that the Designated Premises Supervisor of the licensed areas of the centre would become the Designated Premises Supervisor of your stall.

    With all this in mind, I suspect that individual shops will hold premises licences. Again, you will need to contact the shopping centre to agree on the floor space to be licensed, and whether or not that area is to be licensed for wine sampling (an on licence system) or simply for the sale of bottles (an off licence system). The good news is that the food hygiene element of providing alcohol samples would already be covered by your food hygiene qualification and measures.

    Both personal and premises licence applications can be made to your local licensing authority (the licensing department of your local council). The licensing consultants at Personal Licence Training Ltd (01527 544780) would be happy to provide information or assistance regarding either application process.

  34. Jane says:

    Hi Mark,

    You have probably been asked this many times before (sorry!)…I am starting up my own company to make and sell cider. I was just wondering whether you could pin point where I should start with all of the admin. I am aware that I need a license. I am hoping to make and sell the cider to local farm shops.

    Can you see any instant problems regarding my plans?

    Thank you!


  35. Simon says:

    I currently run a food takeaway stall in a private shopping centre. I would like to set up a wine stall with a view of taking on a unit if viable. Can I by UK law sell on a daily basis from a stall? If so; I assume that I need a personal licence but do I then need a premises licence if some of the arcade shop sell alcohol?

  36. Mark says:

    Hi Abell,

    I’m glad the site has been useful for you! Your licence requirements depend on how the beer is to be sold, both within the company and surplus sales. If sales are entirely gift and/or wholesale (business to business), no licenses are required. Food hygiene laws would need to be adhered to in the case of any type of sale, however.

    For retail sale (business to customer), both a premises licence and a personal licence will be required. Retail sale will include any sales within the company that do not take the form of a gift (ie free). If you are selling to the company and the company is selling on to its employees/the public, the company will require the licenses for retail sale, not you.

    The premises licence will cover the area in which the beer is sold, the point of sale. Every retail sale or supply of alcohol needs to be made or supervised by a personal licence holder, again at the point of sale. We work closely with Personal Licence Training Ltd ( 0845 388 5472) who are alcohol licence specialists and offer training courses throughout the UK. If you wish to make a licence application or discuss the premises in question, I would recommend calling their licensing team.

  37. ABell says:

    Hi, I am talking to a company about brewing a company beer for them. I would ‘rent’ space within their office, which is a converted warehouse, and pay them with the beer. They would then let me sell off any of the surplus. Which license would I need for this? If I wasn’t going to sell any surplus beer, and the company was only going to use it to give away to clients, would I (or the company) still need a license?
    Would the beer need to go through official food hygiene tests? Also do you think there would be zoning or planning issues around brewing within the office space. It would be a relatively small amount of beer, maybe 20 gallons per month.
    Thanks so much for the help. Your site is a really handy resource!

  38. Nicola Smith says:

    the personal license cost of between £380 – £295, is that monthly or yearly?

  39. admin says:

    The cost of a full personal licence is between £380 – £295 personal licence training Ltd are the least expensive at £295 for the full licence. A Temporary Event Notice will cost £21 for each event and a premises licence will vary depending on locality and the amount of people attending they can be as high as £32,000 for 90,000 and over attending

  40. admin says:

    Hi Nicola, the first thing you require is a personal licence. Depending where your events are based you may require two personal licence’s One for Scotland and one for England & Wales. You will also require a Temporary Event Notice for each event if under 500 people. Please read our article on Temporary Event Notice’s. With larger events such as music festivals you will normally find that the event organiser has applied for a premises licence to cover the whole event. However most large event organisers will expect you to hold a personal licence to sell alcohol at their event.
    Hope this helps, to book a course try or call 01527 544 780
    Regards Jeremy

  41. Nicola Smith says:

    how much is a premises license and a personal license?

  42. Nicola Smith says:

    Hello Jeremy,
    i’m looking to set up a mobile stall that sells alcohol at events such as musical festivals,sports games etc. what of alcohol license would i need? would i have to get a premises license even though its a mobile stall?

  43. Ann-Marie says:

    Thank you for the quick reply and advice. One more question, my friend has a personal licence for PTFA events, if she applied on our behalf, I’m guessing she would have to be present at the fair in case of problems?

  44. admin says:

    Hi Ann Marie thanks for your question. You can sell alcohol at a Temporary Event under a Temporary Event Notice, however you must have a Personal Licence to do so! The event must be for under 500 people and can be no longer than 4 days (96 hours). The Event Notice must be given to the Local Council’s Licensing Authority and the Local Police Licensing Officer no latter than 10 working days prior to the event. The cost of the Event Notice is £21.00 The only person who can object to a Temporary Event Notice is the Police if they feel the event would undermine the licensing objective prevention of crime and disorder! I’m sure your event will be fine.
    To obtain a personal licence check out these’s guys!
    I have added a link below so you can download a Temporary Event Notice.
    Further information can be found using the link below;
    We hope your event is a sucess
    Regards the Admin Team

  45. Ann-Marie says:


    I’m new to event organising and will be holding a small fair for one day this year, I want to invite a local specialist brewery to have a stall and sell their goods, what would I need to do for this? The fair is taking place at church halls and as far as I know they don’t have a licence.

    thanks : )

  46. Jeremy says:

    Hi Andy,

    Thanks for reading our blog 🙂

    The statuary limit for drink driving offences is 5 years, although some local authorities may take a dim view of any offence. However since your offence was abroad it is unlikely to be noticed. Good to hear you have learnt your lesson, quite a few people in the alcohol trade fall foul of this one. It can mean more than just a fine and the loss of your driving licence.

    Good luck with the application!

  47. Andy says:

    Hello Jeremy!

    I would like to apply for a personal licence, but 6 years ago I made a mistake and drove drunken. I am not UK resident, and this happened in my home country, so I am not sure if the English police will ever find it out (I have exchanged my driving licence and here it is clean) . But the main question is that how deep the police look back or do they consider that I ‘grew up’ since.
    Anyway I never did it again, using public transport and being treated like a murderer was enough to bring me sober….
    Thanks for your help!

  48. Jeremy says:

    The sale of any liquor or alcohol over 0.5% ABV will require both a personal licence and a premises licence. Sorry for the bad news 🙁 Please be aware that the sale of alcohol from unlicensed premises is a criminal offence and subject to the maximum fine of £20000 and/or six months imprisonment. If you need advice don’t hesitate to call the experts (and our sponsors) Personal Licence Training on 01527 544780

  49. Bally says:


    I am looking to serve liquors in a coffee shop, so not full on alcohol, do I need a license for this?


  50. Bernard says:

    HI i am looking to purchase the actual sign that goes above the door as a present for the landlord where I work but have no idea how to go about this! He has his full licence just has never got round to a sign.I have been trying to look every where how to do this as not sure if there are any legal requirements or where to get one printed.

    Any advice is welcomed with open arms, Thanks in advance.


  51. Jeremy says:

    Hi John,

    Thanks for visiting Alcohol Licence! You don’t currently need a personal licence or a premises licence to sell alcohol to trade (i.e shops and off licences), but you would if you were selling it for public consumption (i.e. directly to the public). Obviously you would need to contact Customs and Excise about the importing side of your business, and it would probably be wise to contact your local council and tell them what you are doing. Otherwise the answer to your question is no, you don’t need a licence.


  52. John says:

    I hope you can help me with this – I want to import wine & spirits from a country to the U.K and sell to Off Licences & Shops – help I need advice on what type of licence do I need. Also, If I go to shops to offer the alcohol as a sample to see if there’s a market or what i want to sell before committing to buying the stock can I do this without a licence if genuinely no money is changing hands?


  53. Jeremy says:

    Hi Rick,

    Thanks for visiting our blog! The rules for alcohol delivery companies are no different from off licences. Your premises will need to be licenced (even just for storage) and you will need a personal licence (APLH for England and Wales, or SCPLH in Scotland). If you want to proceed or just need more advice contact our sponsors – Personal Licence Training Ltd on 0845 388 9581 (local rate).

    Good luck with the business!

  54. rick says:

    Hi all,

    I want to start up a business selling large amounts of alcohol to the public.
    Like a delivery service of alcohol.
    I wouldn’t have a retail shop.
    Just deliver alcohol, alcohol would b stored.
    Not too sure which sort of licensing I would need.

    Any help would b appreciated 🙂


  55. Marlon says:

    Is it possible to gain a license that would enable the sale of Alcohol from a mobile vehicle for PR and brand awareness?

  56. admin says:

    I assume you mean the personal licence? It costs £150.00 (plus vat) to take the exam, but I would recommend taking a course (just a few hours) before you take the exam. If you need any more info contact our sponsors at Personal Licence Training ltd. The staff are friendly and the advice is free….

  57. Luke says:

    how much does it cost to apply for this liscence?

  58. Jobs in Leicester says:

    jobs in the UK…

    Applying for a licence to sell alcohol in the UK…

  59. Jeremy says:

    Hi Joe (Are you THE Joe Corrigan?). The short answer is yes, you do need a licence. Any form of payment received for alcohol needs to be licensed. If in doubt contact your local council, or the nice people at Personal Licence Training (contact details on the right sidebar).

  60. Joe corrigan says:

    If alcohol is not being sold to individuals but is being charged through cost centres within the same company is a license required?

  61. admin says:

    Hi thanks for your question on funding for a Personal Alcohol Licence! Yes is the simply answer according to Personal Licence Training Limited some Job Centres can obtain some form of funding for people who wish to obtain a personal licence if unemployed. however sometimes the funding is obtained via another agent. Try talking to someone like people serve if you have a local centre or your local job centre. In Scotland funding can be obtained via an I.L.A. Account.

    Thanks for your enquiry

  62. Roger Hawthorne says:

    Is Personal licence training possible through the jobcentre?

    hello everyone,
    I am new to this site, I have a great ambition of gaining my own personal licence. But im unemployed and cant seem to find any pub companies that would be willing to help me gain my personal licence!

    Does the jobcentre provide this kind of training, I know they do training for SIA licence (security) so would they do it for personal licence (NCPLH)
    Would love to hear any ideas or feedbacks on this

Back to Top ↑

coffee with scott plank
Read previous post:
Newspaper notices
Licensing Law: Plans to deregulate 75ml wine measure

Selling wine in sample measures is against the law... but maybe not for much longer In recent times, more and...