Alcohol Licence Law Licensing conditions

Published on January 8th, 2013 | by Dean Carr


Alcohol licensing conditions

In 2010 the conditions of the alcohol licensing act 2003 order 2010 (mandatory licensing conditions) were put into place by the Govenment for England and Wales. These conditons apply to premises licensed to sell alcohol, and those premises that have a club premises certificate.

The conditions of the alcohol licensing act are:

A ban on irresponsible promotions

A ban on dispensing alcohol directly into customers’ mouths

Mandatory provision of free tap water

An age verification policy

The premises must have a policy that requires people who appear to be under the age of 18 to be asked, before serving alcohol, tp produce identification showing their:

  • photograph
  • dat of birth
  • a holographic mark

Examples include:

  • photo card driving licences
  • passports or proof of age cards bearing the PASS hologram
  • other forms of ID which meet the criteria laid out above are also acceptable

Staff who work in these venues must be made aware of the existence and content of the age verification policy

Smaller measures

If you are responsible for serving alcohol (i.e. you possess a personal licence), you must make sure that the following drinks are available in the following measures, (assuming they are sold on your premises):

  • beer or cider – half pint
  • gin, rum, vodka or whisky – 25ml or 35ml
  • still wine in a glass – 125ml

You must also make sure that your customers are aware of the availability of these measures.

Full details can be found on the government website


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Alcohol licence Scotland
Staff training to sell alcohol in Scotland

By law, members of staff selling or serving alcohol in Scotland require a minimum level of training. This basic training...