News unamplified music

Published on April 17th, 2015 | by Dean Carr


Amendments to the Licensing Act 2003


There have recently been some key changes to the Licensing Act 2003 for England and Wales. In our last post we talked about the De-Regulation Act 2015 and the need for personal licence holders to renew their licence. This has now been abolished and applies to any personal alcohol licence due for renewal on or before the 1st of April 2015. Personal licence holders will no longer be required to renew their licence after their 10th anniversary.

The De-Regulation Act 2015 will also see some other changes to the Licensing Act taking effect shortly. We have listed these below in date order.

From 6th April 2015 – Changes to regulated entertainment.

  1. There will be no requirement to licence unamplified music for audiences of any size.
  2. There will be no requirement to licence amplified or recorded music for audiences of no more than 500 people.
  3. Licences will be required if either of the above are between the hours of 23.00 and 08.00.

From 26th May 2015 – Liqueur Confectionery.

  • The offence of selling liqueur confectionery to a person under the age of 16 years will be abolished. This means a person of any age can purchase liqueur confectionery in England & Wales.

From 26th May 2015 – Reporting lost or stolen licence to the police.

  • There will be no legal requirement to report a lost or stolen personal licence to the police before requesting a duplicate from a Licensing Authority.

From 1st January 2016 – Increase number of temporary event notices at a single premises.

  • The number of temporary event notices given at a single premises will be increased from 12 to 15 events per year.

Related External Links

Tags: ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Selling alcohol in a B&B

From time to time we get asked to give advice on selling alcohol at a guest house or bed &...