Personal Licence no image

Published on November 21st, 2012 | by Dean Carr


Bar work and how to secure bar work

Finding bar work can be a challenge, especially in towns or cities with a young demographic. In this article, we discuss how you can improve your chances of securing bar work by completing an alcohol licence training qualification.

Types of qualification:

Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH): This level 2 training course is the mandatory qualification for personal licence applicants in England and Wales.

Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH): This is the mandatory qualification for personal licence applicants in Scotland.

Scottish Certificate for Licensed Premises Staff (SCLPS): Aside from personal licence holders, all other staff selling alcohol in Scotland must complete a basic training course, covering the 16 mandatory units. This qualification is relevant to bar work, shop work and hospitality work.

Staff diligence:

A course that covers responsible retail, age restricted products and licensing law will always be popular with employers of licensed premises. Suspicion of selling to underage people is a threat to all licensed premises and bar workers. If a conviction is made, a premises licence may be called into question, while the maximum penalty for persistently selling alcohol to under 18s has recently risen to £20,000. For a member of staff to be fully trained, especially in a basic or part time position, is reassuring to the employer.

bar workEasier to apply for a licence:

An employer may decide to apply for a licence for a member of staff to ease the workload. A personal licence allows you to work in a supervisory capacity, as every sale of alcohol must be made or overseen by a personal licence holder. Holding an APLH/SCPLH cuts out the initial stage of the application (a licence applicant must hold the APLH/SCPLH qualification), making the process far quicker, easier and cheaper. If you have already applied for the licence, so much the better. This is relevant not just to pubs and bars, but to any business selling alcohol: supermarkets, theatres, sports grounds, social clubs and convenience stores, to name just a few.

How much does training cost?

An instructor led APLH course will usually cost £180-£220, although an e-learning programme may be offered at a cheaper rate. Unlike an alcohol licence, an APLH training qualification does not need to be renewed every ten years, making it a suitable investment for part time bar work.

Basic staff training in Scotland can be carried out by an experienced personal licence holder. Alternatively, candidates can work through an e-learning programme.

Related External Links

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Can I complete my alcohol licence training through online e-learning?

Online training programmes (e-learning) are becoming an increasingly popular staff training tool for licensed retailers. E-learning is particularly effective for...