Published on November 5th, 2012 | by Dean Carr
British man dies after drinking counterfeit vodka
A British man has died after drinking counterfeit vodka. Adam Bohm, from Worthing, West Sussex, was found dead in his flat after succumbing to methanol poisoning.
Retailers are urged to check the UK duty stamps (pictured) on spirit bottles and to reject discounted stock offered without a valid VAT receipt.
Methanol is an industrial chemical used mainly for industrial purposes. Criminals, or ‘bootleggers’, sometimes ‘bulk out’ or ‘stretch’ black market alcohol with methanol to make it go further, increasing profits. Sources of industrial methanol include cleaning fluids, antifreeze and screen wash.
NHS health professionals have repeatedly warned of the health consequences of ingesting industrial methanol, which range from sickness, abdominal pain and dizziness to kidney and/or liver problems, blindness, coma or death.
Counterfeit spirits have provoked a crisis in Eastern Europe. Since September, 30 people have died in the Czech Republic in a counterfeit liquer scandal.