News Duty stamps

Published on November 5th, 2012 | by Dean Carr

Comments

British man dies after drinking counterfeit vodka

A British man has died after drinking counterfeit vodka. Adam Bohm, from Worthing, West Sussex, was found dead in his flat after succumbing to methanol poisoning.

Retailers are urged to check the UK duty stamps (pictured) on spirit bottles and to reject discounted stock offered without a valid VAT receipt.

Methanol is an industrial chemical used mainly for industrial purposes. Criminals, or ‘bootleggers’, sometimes ‘bulk out’ or ‘stretch’ black market alcohol with methanol to make it go further, increasing profits. Sources of industrial methanol include cleaning fluids, antifreeze and screen wash.

NHS health professionals have repeatedly warned of the health consequences of ingesting industrial methanol, which range from sickness, abdominal pain and dizziness to kidney and/or liver problems, blindness, coma or death.

Counterfeit spirits have provoked a crisis in Eastern Europe. Since September, 30 people have died in the Czech Republic in a counterfeit liquer scandal.

Tags:


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188



Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Counterfeit drinks
New liquor labels after fake alcohol deaths in Eastern Europe

The Czech Republic has issued new labeling for spirits sold within the country after a health crisis caused by unsafe...

Close