Personal Licence application-licence

Published on June 16th, 2016 | by Dean Carr


Who can endorse my Personal Licence photo’s

Over the past few weeks we have become aware of an increasing problem regarding the endorsement of photographs used for a personal alcohol licence application. Having had several conversations with recent licence applicants who have approached their local Doctor, Dentist, Bank or local Police station only to be told “Sorry we do not endorse photographs or yes we do but their is a charge!”

The Licensing Act 2003 for England and Wales states the following regarding endorsement of personal licence photographs;

Must be endorsed by:

  • A Solicitor or Notary
  • A person of standing in the community (i.e. Bank/Building Society Official, Police
    Officer, Civil Servant or Minister of Religion)
  • Any individual with a professional qualification

Unfortunately some Council’s interpretation of “A person of standing in the community” differs from one Council to another. Some Council’s will not accept photographs for a personal licence application being endorsed by a Company Director of a VAT registered Limited Company? According to the Government website; Gov.UK “A person of standing in the community” who can legally endorse a UK Passport photograph includes the following which is listed below.

The Department of Culture Media & Sport (DCMS) need to clarify the term “A person of standing in the community” to local Council Licensing Authorities. Unfortunately the licensing Act 2003 is vague in this area and only mentions a few persons of standing in the community (i.e. Bank/Building Society Official, Police, Officer, Civil Servant or Minister of Religion).

The abbreviations of the Latin phrase “i.e.” stands for id est, meaning “that is.” It is used to explain what exactly something means, but surely this is unclear as you will see from the list below a personal of standing in the community according to the UK Passport Office is rather widespread.

Recognised professions
Examples of recognised professions include:

  • accountant
  • airline pilot
  • articled clerk of a limited company
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank/building society official
  • barrister
  • chairman/director of limited company
  • chiropodist
  • commissioner for oaths
  • councillor, eg local or county civil servant (permanent)
  • dentist
  • director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
  • engineer – with professional qualifications
  • financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • legal secretary – fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
  • licensee of public house
  • local government officer
  • manager/personnel officer of a limited company
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion – including Christian Science
  • nurse – RGN or RMN
  • officer of the armed services
  • optician
  • paralegal – certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
  • person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
  • pharmacist
  • photographer – professional
  • police officer
  • Post Office official
  • president/secretary of a recognised organisation
  • Salvation Army officer
  • social worker
  • solicitor
  • surveyor
  • teacher or lecturer
  • trade union officer
  • travel agent – qualified
  • valuer or auctioneer
  • fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
  • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers
  • All of the above can legally endorse a British Passport which we are sure is equally as important as a Personal Licence? Another point to make is the Government approved list above includes a licensee of public house (Designated Premises Supervisor) who will also hold a personal licence. So surely adding a personal licence holder who holds a licensing qualification to the approved list would make sense?

    Other important factors to consider are;

    Photographs must be:

  • taken against a light background
  • 45MM X 35MM (Passport sized)
  • Full face without sunglasses and unless the applicant wears a head covering due to his/her religious beliefs, without a hat
  • on photographic paper



About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Is my National Licensee Certificate valid to apply for a personal licence?

  Can you use your old National Licensee Certificate (NLC) to apply for a personal licence? In a recent article...