Premises Licence no image

Published on July 8th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


How much do I have to pay in Premises Licence Fees?

Premises Licence Fees

Fees regulations for licences under the above legislation have been published by HM Government.

Premises Licence

Under the Licensing Act 2003 premises will pay for a ‘one-off’ fee for grant of a premises licence and then pay an annual charge for the licence thereafter.

The charge is based on the rateable value of the property.
Rateable value bands        A         B         C         D          E
Main application fee          100    190    315     450      635
Main annual charge          70       180    295     320      350

In addition, a multiplier will be applied to town and city centre pubs in bands D & E, where they are exclusively or primarily in the business of selling alcohol.
Band                                                                               D (x2)             E(x3)
City/Town Centre pub application fee                       900                1905
City/Town Centre pub annual charge                       640                1050

Variation of an existing premises licence- as per application fee

The rateable values that the fee bands are based on are as follows;


A no rateable value to £4,300

B £4,301 – £33,000

C £33,001 – £87,000

D £87,001 – £125,000

E £125,000 and above

Minor Variation of an existing premises licence


Application for a Provisional Statement



Related External Links

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. csaba harangozo says:

    Thank you! It was really useful!!
    I can go forward now…..

  2. Hello Csaba,
    You will require both a personal licence and a premises licence or temporary event notice to sell alcohol legally in England and Wales. The cost of a full personal licence is around £300 I understand offer training, exam and licence application service for £295.00
    A premises licence once granted has an annual fee based on the rateable value of the business premises, these are as follows;
    Band A – £70
    Band B – £180
    Band C – £295
    Band D – £320
    Band E – £350
    A Temporary Event Notice or (TEN) costs £21 and must be applied for 10 working day prior to the event taking place. A temporary event can only be used if the likely attendance is under 500 people, anything above would require a full premises licence. Does the market hall you intend to use hold a premises licence? If they do then you could trade under their licence, I would advise you to ask if they do. However they may insist that you require a personal licence to sell alcohol by retail in their market hall. I would also recommend that you operate a challenge 25 policy. This means anyone who appears to be under 25 must prove they are over 18 years old to purchase alcohol. PLT’s online NCLPS course may help! You can find the demo using this link The cost of this course is only £10 plus VAT and will give you a basic understanding of the licensing Act 2003. Hope this advice helps you, Jo Taylor can give you more advice on alcohol premies licence applications her telephone number is 01527 544780.

  3. csaba harangozo says:

    Thanks for your reply!!

  4. Hi Csaba,

    To sell alcohol to members of the public you would need a personal licence. The premises that holds the market in question would also need a premises licence

  5. csaba harangozo says:

    I would like to know, what kind of licence do i need to sell alcohol ( wine ) in markets?

Back to Top ↑

click for more . instagram followers
Read previous post:
The licensing act 2003 and your premises licence

licensing act 2003 The Licensing Act 2003 became law on 24 November 2005. The Licensing Act 2003 (the Act) introduced...