Alcohol Licence Training in England & Wales

Instructor led alcohol licence training courses at over 120 locations in England, Scotland, Wales; the UK.

For more details, visit

Tel: 0845 388 5472

Personal Licence Training (UK) Ltd run and organise hundreds of training courses throughout the UK for the mandatory qualification for personal licence (to sell alcohol) applicants. In England and Wales, this is the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) level 2; in Scotland, the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) level 5. To keep you up-to-date, both were formerly known as the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH).

All APLH & SCPLH instructor led training courses offered by PLT are accredited by EDI or BIIAB. A network of APLH and SCPLH training providers and training associates offer local course dates for personal licence training and other hospitality training course dates.

For more details, visit

If you would like to talk to someone about applying for your personal licence or a premises licence application, we recommend that you speak to the licensing team at Personal Licence Training, who offer regular national training courses in England, Scotland and Wales.

42 Responses to Alcohol Licence Training in England & Wales

  1. Dean Carr Dean Carr says:

    Hi Kathy Ferguson, the law on this is simple if your purchase the alcohol and then sell it on to a customer then this is classed as a sale of alcohol by retail and would require both a premises licence or temporary event notice and a personal licence. If you are providing a service to just decorate bottles of alcohol that have been given to you by a customer then this is not a licensable activity. It would be a good idea to ask your client for a copy of proof of purchase so you have evidence they have purchased the alcohol and not you. Selling alcohol without a licence in England & Wales is subject to a level 5 fine under the licensing Act 2003 which is an unlimited fine and or 6 months imprisonment. Also have a look at an article I wrote in 2015.
    Regards Dean.

  2. Kathy Ferguson says:

    Hello. Ive been asked on a group about the legality of glittering an alcohol bottle that has been supplied by the customer and then just charging for the work done. Is this OK for someone to do or is there anything they need? Such as proof the customer supplied it, licence to have alcohol going to your premises then being given back to the customer? I said I’d find out but it’s very hard to find information. Many thanks.

  3. Dean Carr Dean Carr says:

    Best advise is call one of our team as this is a little more complicated to explain. 01242 222188

  4. James Robins says:

    Hi there,
    I am considering selling my homemade limoncello, limecello etc to local cafe’s, bars and restaurants…and potentially the public online.
    I am a little confused as to what licence’s I will need to get this off the ground – please can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance!
    James Robins

  5. Dean Carr Dean Carr says:

    Charging a corkage fee, adding free alcohol to a menu or offering an alcohol token may all be considered to be a retail sale of alcohol under the licensing Act 2003. Therefore you may require a personal licence and a temporary event notice for each event. I would advise you to ask the same question to your licensing authority or the licensing authorities where you intend to hold the events.

    Regards Admin team

  6. hbm says:

    Hi – I am considering setting up a supper club, with BYO wine/prosecco. If I charge a corkage fee, woudl I need to have a license? And could I get around this by just upping my supper club menu price and not charging corkage?
    It just sounds like a lot of money to pay out to be able to charge a tiny corkage fee?

    thank you!

  7. Helen says:

    Hello, Can you please tell me how much a personal licence would be, i have been making glitter glasses and i want to now sell glitter wine bottles, but i have been told, to do so, i have to have a personal licence. Its a small hobby at the moment but the about of people who keep asking, and i don’t want to get in any trouble. If its more than £50 than i cannot afford it.

    Thank you.

  8. Dean Carr Dean Carr says:

    Hi Jacqueline, Best advice on making your own flavored alcoholic drinks is speak to an Environmental Heath Officer at your local Council for guidance on food safety and what you require to handle food. (Alcoholic drinks are also classed as food). If the Alcohol by volume (ABV) is above 0.5% then you will require a licence to sell them by retail. Please see our other comment on licensing alcoholic products for re-sale.

  9. Dean Carr Dean Carr says:

    Hi Jacqueline, wholesale sales of alcohol to a licensed retailer do not require a licence. Any sale made to a member of the general public is classed as a retail sale of alcohol and therefore requires a licence.

    To sell alcohol to the general public such as alcohol contained in hamper would require the retailer to hold a personal licence and a premises licence for the premises where the alcohol is dispatched from. To sell alcohol from a craft event you would require a personal licence and a Temporary Event Notice (for events under 500 people) or a premises licence. Take a look through our website for Temporary Event Notice.

    Hope this helps, If you need more advice talk to PLT’s licensing team on 01242 222 188.

  10. Jacqueline Goulding says:

    Can i make my own flavoured gin/vodka to add to gift baskets, to wholesale, online or retail at craft events?

  11. Jacqueline Goulding says:

    Hi I want to add a small wine/champagne bottle to my hampers for wholesale customers and retail customers at a craft/gift fayres do I need a licience?

  12. Mark says:

    Hi Jen,

    Take a look at our guide to mail order sales . Alcohol delivery is a tricky topic- from your point of view, delivery is not a licensable activity; from the seller’s point of view, the point of storage and dispatch must be licensed. This overlap basically means that if you are storing alcohol, you will need a licensed premises. I’d recommend talking to Jo Taylor (licensing consultant) at PLT (01527 544780) if your business plan is coming together and you need more specific advice. Best of luck!

  13. jen says:

    I wanna set up a 24hr delivery service in my area. Was just wondering what license would I need an how would I go about obtaining this license. Thank you.

  14. Pingback: Alcohol licence - do you need a licence?

  15. admin says:

    Hi Gemma if you hold an APLH, NCPLH or SCPLH licensing qualification then you can apply to your local council for a licence to sell alcohol
    Check out for a free guide on appling for a personal licence.

    Regards the Licensing team at PLT

  16. Gemma says:

    Hi, I passed hold the relevant qualification to get my personal licence but haven’t yet applied for it is there a time limit which I have to apply in, I passed in jan this year…
    Thanks 🙂

  17. Mark says:

    Hi Lee,

    A lot of this will vary depending on whether you are supplying alcohol to club members only or to the general public. As a members’ club application can be complex, I’d recommend speaking to the licensing consultants at Personal Licence Training Ltd (0845 388 5472) to run through the various criteria.

  18. Lee says:

    An already established private members club is in the process of Relocation and in that process will tender for applicants to take on the running of the bar for the premises.
    Would i need to obtain that premises license and a personal license to sell alcohol, and any staff also if i wasnt on site on an occasion?

  19. Lee says:

    An already established private members club is in the process of Relocation and in that process will tender for applicants to take on the running of the bar for the premises.
    Would i need to obtain that premises license and a personal license to sell alcohol, and any staff also if i wasnt on site on an occasion?

  20. Mark says:

    Hi Patrick,

    You’ve probably encountered two types of alcohol licence: the personal licence, which licenses a person, and the premises licence, which licenses a building.

    To gain a personal licence, you first sit a training course and then apply to your local licensing authority (your local council). Every licence applicant must gain a licensing qualification- in England and Wales, the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) level 2. We recommend Personal Licence Training Ltd as a training provider. They offer training venues close to you and can also process your licence application. Here is their website:
    They can also be contacted on 0845 388 5472

  21. patrick says:

    I live in sutton surrey and wanna be a licence holder please advice on what to do


  22. Mark says:

    Hi Alison,

    Provided that you host no more than 12 such lunches a year, you could use a Temporary Event Notice for every event. These usually cost around £30 and can be acquired from your local licensing authority (your local council’s licensing department). These notices are designed to make things simpler for people hoping to host occasional events.
    If you are hosting more than 12 lunches a year, you will require a premises licence. This would allow the sale of alcohol on any day of the year. Also, after a few successful trial lunches, you may decide that this is a more cost effective solution, even if you are not exceeding 12 events a year.

    In either case, you will need a personal licence (the Temporary Event Notice is a substitute for the premises licence). By the sounds of it, only one of you will require a personal licence. Quite simply, every sale or supply of alcohol needs to be made or supervised by a personal licence holder. Therefore, if the licence holder is present to supervise proceedings, every ‘staff’ member is covered (in this case, your husband). If you intend to pop out during the lunches, or let someone else run them in your place, then an additional licence holder will be required.

    Step 1 of applying for a personal licence is completing an Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) training course. From there, you can submit an application to your local licensing authority.

    We work closely with Personal Licence Training Ltd ( 0845 388 5472) who are alcohol licence specialists and offer training courses throughout the UK. They can also process your personal licence application and/or premises licence application. The personal licence application process (including training course and CRB basic disclosure check) usually takes 4-6 weeks. Temporary Event Notices usually take around a week to be processed.

  23. Alison says:

    We have a 3 room Bed & Breakfast and wish to hold occasional lunches for the public at which wine would accompany the meal and the price for it included in the set meal price. Do I need a personal or premises licence please? Do both my husband and I need one? Can I complete the application in time for mid May 2012?

  24. admin says:

    You only need a personal licence if you intend to SELL alcohol to the public. So no you do not need a licence.

  25. admin says:

    I’m considering having an alcoholic drink as well 😉 but I may have to wait until this evening…. You don’t need a licence mate, as long as you are over 18 and can prove it (Challenge 25), just go ahead and enjoy yourself! Assuming of course you are not an alcoholic… in which case you are probably on the wrong site. Try googling “alcoholics anonymous”. If this is a joke comment…nice one 🙂

  26. alan fleming says:

    I am considerinhg having an alcoholic drink , i would like to do this legally, could advise on the course and qualifications certificates and courses including prices that this undertaking would need?

  27. D Clark says:

    Do I need a personal licence and/or a premises licence, if I intend to hand out (free) bottles of alcohol as promotional items at an event we are attending to promote membership of our organisation and sign people up as members.

  28. Antonio Sousa says:

    Can these licence training courses be done over the internet or do you have to attend a course meeting in person?

  29. admin says:

    The new licensing Act’s for Scotland, England and Wales are in fact very similar. The licensing Act for England & Wales was introduced in August 2005 and the Licensing Act for Scotland came into force in September 2009. Both Licensing Act’s require two types of licence to be in force to authorise the sale of alcohol to the general public these are as follows;

    A premises licence
    A personal licence holder
    Every premises licence must have a nominated individual named on the licence as the person responsible for that licensed premises. This individual is known as

    Designated Premises Supervisor or DPS (England & Wales)
    Premises Manager (Scotland)
    Both Licensing Act’s have a frame work on which they are based. this frame work is known as the licensing objectives. Scotland has five licensing objectives and England & Wales has four licensing objectives these are as follows;

    England & Wales

    The prevention of crime and disorder
    The promotion of public safety
    The prevention of public nuisance
    The protection of children from harm

    Preventing crime or disorder
    Securing public safety
    Preventing public nuisance
    Protecting and improving public health
    protecting children from harm
    Sale of alcohol from off licence premises or beer off (Out-with hours) is restricted in Scotland to 10pm

    All staff who work behind a bar or sales counter selling alcohol in Scotland must also have a minimum of two hours training on the Scottish licencing Act. (part time or full time – paid or un-paid)

    Staff training records must also be kept by the premises manager in Scotland

    Challenge 25 is now compulsory in Scotland and posters must be displayed. Challenge policy is quite simple anyone who appears under 25 years of age must prove they are over 18 to purchase alcohol or any other age restricted products

    Underage Sales Notice; A notice regarding underage sales must also be displayed under licensing laws in Scotland.

    There are a few more difference’s in both licensing Act’s. but in the main they are very similar to each other

    The licensing qualifications for England, Wales and Scotland are known as;

    APLH (Award for Personal Licence Holders) Level 2
    SCPLH (Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders) Level 5
    Once you have obtain a certificate of training by passing an examination on either law you can then apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol.

    In England & Wales you apply to the licensing authority where you reside and in Scotland you apply to your local licensing board. You will also be subject to a criminal records check when you apply for your personal alcohol licence.

    Criminal Records Bureau (Basic CRB) check (England & Wales)
    Police National Computer (PNC) check (Scotland)
    If you have a relevant offence then the Police may make an objection to your personal licence being granted.

    Once you have obtained your personal licence to sell alcohol by retail it is then valid for 10 years.

    To apply for a personal licence you must be over 18 years old and hold the relevant accredited qualification.

    In Scotland, England and Wales a personal Licence is a photo identification card with an individual licence number. A personal licence will also show your home address and be issued by your licensing authority or licensing board.

  30. Rose says:

    What are the main differences between the English and welsh laws and the scottish law?

  31. Lynn says:

    I did my training with PLT (Personal Licence Training Limited) I found the staff very helpful and professional and they processed my licence application for me, this took all the hassle and stress out of obtaining my personal alcohol licence. Now my licence is valid for 10 years and I can work anywhere in England & Wales. I think the cost was around £295.00 including all fees! This works out at just £29.50 a year A NO BRAIN ER in my book!!!!!!

  32. sam says:

    @ella i lived in glastonbury when i did mine and the nearest to me was yeovil as for price it was paid for by my boss at the time but i beleive it was about 150 not including CRB or the price for the actual personal licence
    your best bet is to see if your employer will pay for it

  33. Ella says:

    I was just wondering how much it is to take a personal licencing cource and where the nearrest place would be to take it if I am in Glastonbury?
    I need to take one asap,
    Thank you,

  34. val burch says:

    Iwont to sell alcohol at my local community centre i have the approvale of the committe what licience do i need and where can i go for it
    thank you

  35. ron wilson says:

    ‘could you please direct me to a liquor licence training coarse where i can study at home and also do test at home over internet as i have very busy schedule but would like to run a public house i was told that a company in petebro ( England) could do this

    Thanks Ron.

  36. Gemma Rees says:

    I would like to sell alcohol at a private wedding party at my local community hall. How do I go about doing this legally?

  37. Jo Taylor says:

    Unfortunately, you will have to sit the new accreditation. I assume that you have an NLC certificate and the award changed under the new licensing act. Once you have passed your exam you can apply for a CRB certificate and once you have both, submit your application to the local council along with the relevant fees and supporting documents.

  38. Ann says:

    i got my licence certificate in 1999 can i apply for a personal licence ?

  39. admin says:

    If you sell alcohol to the general public then you would require both a personal and a premises licence. We would advise that you also speak to your local Environmental Heath Officer about starting a food manufacturing business. If you intend to retail the alcohol then courses can be found here NCPLH courses in Avon


  40. Jeremy says:

    Hi Rachy,

    We do not run courses as such, but our sponsers – Personal Licence Training Ltd – do organise courses in Manchester. They can be contacted on 0845 388 5472 (local rate call) or by visting their website (Click Here). I’m sure the guys here will give you a competative quote!

  41. rachy says:

    hi i am just wondering how much it is to go on one of your personal licence holders course.i do not hold a licence but would like to be able to say that i do on my c.v etc.the course i would most likely want to go to would be the one in manchester.any helpp in this would be greatly apreciated

  42. Daniel Veira says:

    Hello, I’m not sure if this is for the right licence but i would like to brew my own spirits to be used in a alcoholic shot which is to be sold. I would like any informationon whati eed to do this and also if there are courses near Bristol that can teach me how to do this.


    Daniel Veira

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑