News application-licence

Published on April 20th, 2017 | by Dean Carr


Licensees may not sign photos for a licence?

We have just been handed the latest guide to who can sign and endorse the photographs on a personal licence. Unfortunately personal licence holders, designated premises supervisors, licensees are not included on the list. However an acting licensee or designated premises supervisor as they are now known can sign and endorse the photographs for a British Passport application!

Surely this is madness as it would make the application process a whole lot easier for people who work in the hospitality sector to get their photographs signed by someone who holds an industry specific qualification such as the (APLH) level 2 qualification and holds a licence? All personal licence holders will have also undergone background checks such as a Criminal Records check via CRB or DBS prior to their licence being granted.

A Designated Premises Supervisors (DPS) ie Licensee will also be named on a premises licence as the responsible person in control of licensed premises within a give area. Surely a Licensee is a person of similar standing to some of the individuals named on the list which includes; Salvation Army Officer, Photographer (professional), Christian Science Practitioner, journalist, Optician, Trade Union Officer and a Travel Agency (qualified).

The form also states as following, ” Please note, that although the NLC is classed as a professional qualification, licensees are not acceptable counter signatories.” Does this mean that the old licensee qualification know as the National Licensees Certificate (NLC) is now completely worthless. We know this can no longer be used to apply for a personal licence as it has now been replaced by the Award for Personal licence Holders (APLH) level 2.

Surely professional Awarding Bodies such as BIIAB who offer the level 2 qualification or the Federation of Licensed Victuallers Association (FLVA) should be allowed to have a voice over this matter!

Government or legal clarification on meaning of “persons of similar standing” in a local community would be advantageous, this must undoubtedly include a local Publican or Licensee? or are they now worthless as well! Lets see what happens.


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Happy New Year – 2017

  We would like to wish all of our readers a happy and prosperous new year for 2017. We will...