Personal Licence Personal Licence

Published on July 25th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Pub Personal Licence – What is it?

A pub personal licence, or Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH, SCPLH in Scotland), allows the holder to sell alcohol for consumption on or off any premises covered by a premises licence. The licence is portable and lasts for 10 years, after which it can be renewed for a further 10. To qualify for a personal licence, an applicant must meet certain criteria laid out by the Licensing Act:

  • The applicant must be over 18 years old.
  • They must not have had a personal licence forfeited within the previous 5 years.
  • They must possess an accredited licensing qualification.
  • They must not have been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence.

Where the applicant fulfils all these criteria, the licensing authority must grant the application. If any of the first 3 requirements are not met, the application must be rejected. Where an applicant has been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence, the licensing authority must notify the chief officer of police, who may object to the application. In the case of a police objection, the normal procedure would be to reject the application, unless there are exceptional and compelling circumstances which justify granting it. If the police do not object, and the application meets the other requirements of the Licensing Act, the application must be granted.

Related External Links

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. colin mcphee says:

    thanks for that

  2. Jeremy says:

    Hi Colin,

    Rather than go into detail here I will point you at our sponsors Hopefully this will answer all your questions.

  3. colin mcphee says:

    Was wondering how much a full personal licence would cost and how long the course would last can you get back to me with this information please also where about the courses are i live in Bracknell so i suppose Maienhead or Reading would be the nearest places to go to do it

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Licensing conditions
What is a public disclosure?

A Disclosure is a document containing impartial and confidential criminal history information held by the police and government departments which...