Alcohol Licence Law Alcohol licence Scotland

Published on August 22nd, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Scottish Alcohol License

The Scottish licensing Act changed in September 2009 and is now known as the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. Licensing in Scotland is now administered by the local council’s, each local authority has a Licensing Board who look after licensing for each council region a list of these Licensing Boards can be found at .To sell alcohol in Scotland you require two types of license a license for the premise and an individual license for the person in charge of the licensed premise. This license is known as a Scottish alcohol license or a Scottish personal license and allows the holder to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol under a Scottish premise license. The Scottish alcohol license holder must also be name on the premise license as the Premises  Manager and be in day to day control of the licensed premise.

To obtain a Scottish alcohol license the individual must undertake training on the Scottish Licensing Act 2009 and must apply to their Local Licensing Board for a personal license (Scottish alcohol license).

If the premise is to sell food (example a public house) then the Premises Manager is expected to also hold a Food Hygiene Certificate.

All staff are also required to hold either a certificate of training or undertake a minimum of two hours training on the new licensing Act 2005. A record of that training must also be kept at the premises.

For more information on Scottish staff training for the sale of alcohol on licensed premises visit

To obtain a Scottish Alchol License an individual is required to take a licensing course known as the Scottish Certificate for Personal license Holders. Personal Licence offer training courses in most major cities throughout Scotland please click here for dates.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Police requests fuel 19% increase in alcohol licence reviews

The number of hospitality businesses having their alcohol licence reviewed has soared by 19 per cent over the past year,...