Alcohol Licence Law Selling alcohol

Published on October 20th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Selling Alcohol from Your Home

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that an alcohol licence will be granted for a residential property.

Each application that is submitted to the Licensing Authority has to state a rateable business value which private residential properties will not have.  The only exception to this may be a property which stands in it’s own small-holding, ie. a farm.

Each application for a new premises licence must contain the statements as to how the licensing objectives are going to be met.  With regards to a private residential property the following objectives would not be able to be met sufficiently:

The Prevention of Crime and Disorder

The Prevention of Public Nuisance

It is also unlikely that a Private residential property would have installed a CCTV system which met the DCMS guidelines as used by the Police.

Although you may think that the alcohol would eb safe at your premises and no-one would know it was there, the application itself would have to be publicly advertised for 28 days, therefore making everyone aware of your intentions.

If you want to start a small business, the best thing to do is to acquire a small lock up unit to start off with and have this licensed instead. This can be done as it is classed as a business premises.

If you would like any further advice regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to call the Licensing Consultants at Personal Licence Training Ltd.

Tags: , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Selling alcohol
Selling Alcohol from home?

  Selling alcohol from home is a question we get asked on a regular basis. So we have enlisted the...