News police

Published on March 1st, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Shop booze ban for month after selling to children

A CONVENIENCE store has been ordered to stop selling booze for 28 days after it sold alcohol to youngsters twice in less than three months.

The Redbarn Express in Linden Lea, Portchester, has had its license suspended following a review by Fareham Borough Council’s licensing panel at the request of the police.

Staff member Divyand Patel sold a bottle of wine to two 16-year-olds taking part in a police test purchase operation on August 28 last year.

He was given an £80 on-the-spot fine.

But on November 16, the same man repeated his offence during a follow-up visit by teenagers acting for the police. He was again fined and the store was given a 48 hour closure order for December 18 and 19.

Licensing officer PC Jason Pearce said that he and his Hampshire trading standards counterpart Paul Worrall had visited the store after its first failure to speak to the premises’ licence holder, explain the law and give them a staff training pack.

PC Pearce said: ‘For a premises to fail once shows significant failings. When a premises sells to underage people twice in short succession it does bring in to question that perhaps the premises is showing no regard for the law. In those two-and-a-half months, nothing had happened.

‘Mr Patel was made fully aware of the consequences of a second failure, but failed to act.’

The three member panel rejected the police’s call for the licence to be revoked for three months, but did also insist that the shop’s owners agree to a list of eight extra conditions, including books to register refusals, a new CCTV system and prompt messages on tills when alcohol is scanned.

PC Pearce added: ‘We can’t tolerate rogue premises that put profit before selling alcohol to children.’

Licensing consultant Surendra Panchal, representing the shop, told the hearing that Raju Patel, who had been both the licence holder and designated premises supervisor (DPS) for the store at the time of the two offences had since left.

He has been replaced by Mehul Patel as the licence holder and Pinkal Patel as the DPS. Mr Panchal said: ‘The staff have now been fully trained. I am stressing now how careful the shop is.

‘My client is prepared to follow all necessary additions. The shop is now in good hands.’

Source : The News – Portsmouth

Thanks to Surendra Panchal for pointing this out to us.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. Jo Taylor says:

    Unless the premises licence mandatory conditions stipulates that every member of staff has to be a personal licence holder, then it is not a mandatory requirement. The Designated Premises Supervisor can give authorisation for the staff to sell alcohol on the premises on his behalf. A form can be downloaded from the DCMS website which can be completed by the DPS and the staff and displayed at the premises for this purpose. It is the responsibility of the DPS to ensure that all staff have received relevant training regarding age restricted products and ID. It is possible to do a Level 1 basic qualification for the prevention of underage sales. Should you wish to become a personal licence holder you are required to undertake the nationally recognised level 2 qualification and apply to the council for the granting of your 10 year licence. The advantage of having your own licence is that you will have a full understanding of the law as required to be a personal licence holder, and should you ever wish to move onto your own business venture, then you already have the licence to do so. Personal Licence Training Ltd provide various training courses at different levels and will be able to advise you accordingly should you want to take this further.

  2. Ganeesh says:

    I work in a shop (part time), and wondered would i need to be a personal license holder to sell alcohol if the employers ask me? The shop owners are are already the premises holders and personal license holders. Is it necessary for staff to be license holders too? what advantages & disadvantages does this mean for myself & employers, especially regarding ID related sales ? who would this actually benefit? can anyone help with advice?

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Newspaper notices
Shops suffer consequences selling booze to children

Shop insurance holders must ensure to take great care when trading as small mistakes can prove extremely costly in many...