News Temporary event notice

Published on June 11th, 2012 | by Dean Carr


The premises licence and the Scottish premises licence

Explaining the differences experienced under the Licensing Acts for England and Scotland…

A premises licence is required to sell alcohol from a premises in the United Kingdom. Alcohol can only be sold by retail from premises that hold a premises licence or a Temporary Event Notice- the equivilant of the old occasional licence.

Additionally, a personal licence holder must be nominated on to the premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor. In Scotland, this person is known as a Premises Manager.

When a Temporary Event Notice is being used, a personal licence holder must be present to oversee the sale of alcohol.

Throughout the United Kingdom, the retail sale of alcohol is restricted- pubs, supermarkets, off licensed premises, restaurants and other premises must be licensed by the local licensing authority (the licensing department of their local council). In Scotland, a licensing authority is known as a licensing board.

In Scotland, the sale of alcohol is also restricted from off licensed premises or pubs retailing off and away from the premises- this is known as “outwith licensed hours”. The term “outwith hours” means consuming, selling or taking away alcohol outside of the permitted licensing hours as stated on the granted premises licence. In Scotland, the permitted hours for the retail sale of alcohol from off-licensed premises is 10.00am until 10.00pm, on any day from any premises.

For more information about premises licence, or to process an application or variation of licence, visit the PLT Premises Licence page.

Tags: ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Alcohol licence Scotland
Drink-driving limit to be lowered in Scotland

The Scottish government has announced its intention to lower the drink-driving limit in Scotland. Under the proposals, the legal limit...