Alcohol Licence Law Premises licence rules

Published on August 16th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


UK Alcohol License

When the law changed into the 2003 Act the process of making an application through the magistrates court to become a Landlord of a licensed premises changed.  UK (England & Wales) alcohol licenses are now issued by the new Licensing Authority, a department of you local Council.  UK alcohol license’s are now made up in two parts, a personal license and a premises license.  A personal license authorises the sale of alcohol where alcohol is sold from a licensed premises.  A premises licence can be held by a company, an individual above the age of 18 years, a partnership or a registered charity.  Therefore it doesn’t have to be the premises license holder that is the person authorising the alcohol sale.  The premises license is granted by the local Licensing Authority unless the premises already held a Justices License and therefore were granted a licence on Grandfather rights.  When a new personal license holder takes over a premises that is licensed to sell alcohol, they will also have to become the DPS of the premises.  Although the premises itself can remain in the name of the premises license holder unless the business has been sold under new ownership.  A UK alcohol licence for an individual ie. a personal license, is valid for 10 years from the date of grant and then renewed on its 10th anniversary. a UK alcohol license for premises are valid indefinitely unless forfeited or revoked.


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Becoming a Designated Premises Supervisor
How do I become a Designated Premises Supervisor?

Every licensed premises needs a designated premises supervisor or DPS. First you will need to gain a personal licence. This...