Alcohol Licence Law Personal Licence Training

Published on November 28th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


What training do I need to sell alcohol?

“What training do I need to sell alcohol?” is a question we are asked on a regular basis. To sell alcohol in England, Wales and Scotland, you will need to undertake a basic training course on alcohol licensing law. There are two licensing courses on the market at the moment: one for England and Wales known as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Level 2, and one for Scotland known as the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) Level 5. Generally, training courses are held over one day, although some local colleges will run them over two days. Most independent training providers tend to run one day training courses for these licensing qualifications.

Once you have achieved your licensing qualification, you can then apply to your local council’s licensing authority, or licensing board in Scotland, for your personal alcohol licence. For more information, please see our article on applying for your personal licence to sell alcohol. Many independent training providers do offer a full licence processing service, however cost may vary so be careful of hidden costs!

The average price for a certificate only training course and course handbook is around £150 – £165 + VAT.

The cost of processing a full licence is around £295 – £340 including VAT, all fees, training and course material.


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Personal licence holder
Should a licensee employ more than one personal licence holder?

Should a licensee employ more than one personal licence holder? According to guidance recommended by the Department of Culture Media and Sport, this...