Alcohol Licence Law Alcohol licence Scotland

Published on January 14th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Alcohol Licence Scotland (Scottish Licensing Law)

The Licensing Laws in Scotland changed on the 1st of September 2009 now all sales of alcohol must be made or authorised by a Personal Licence Holder who Holds a Scottish Personal Licence. All staff selling alcohol must have a record of basic training on the new Licensing(Scotland)Act 2005. A certificate of basic staff training and a record kept on the licensed premises by the premises manager is the best way to provide evidence of staff competence on the law. Staff whom work part time, full time whether paid or un-paid must have basic training on the new licensing Act for Scotland. To sell alcohol in Scotland a Premise must also have a premises licence, a Premises Manager must be asigned to the premises licence as the “PREMISES MANAGER”. Premises licensees are granted and monitored by Licensing Boards in Scotland, which are departments of local councils. All Scottish Personal Licence Holders must achieve a licensing law qualification, this qualifications is known as a Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders or SCPLH Level 5. Once a certificate of training has been achieved the individual can then apply to their local Licensing Board for a Personal Licence, all aplicants must prove they are a fit and proper person and are interviewed by local Police. The Police will also conduct a PNC check on each individual apply for a licence. Application fee to the Local Licensing Boards stands at £50.00 at time of press. The avarage cost of a SCPLH one day training course is £125.00 + VAT. for details and training dates for Scotland please see
Staff training can also be sort via this website

A change in law from the 01/10/2011 now requires a Scottish premise to operate a Challenge 25 policy and display posters requesting age verification.

please also see


Download a Free Challenge 25 poster

Related External Links


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. Craig brownlie says:

    Can I close the bar before my licensed bar hours?

  2. jane says:

    Do all venues require a licence? ie a private residence?

    If there is a wedding to be held at my family private residence (large property) although the wedding party and their guests are not related to me do I require a licence to sell them alcohol at my premises?

    or option 2

    if i dont sell them alcohol but charge them a small cork age fee for them bringing their own alcohol would I need a licence?

    What would happen to me if I did not have a licence?

  3. Jo Taylor says:

    No, unfortunately not. England and Scotland have slightly different laws and regulations and you would require a different licence for each of them.

  4. Ron McTacish says:

    Can a Scottish Licence (SCPLH) be used in England (or visa versa)

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
SOFITEL Luxury Hotel Group train more Managers to NCPLH Level 2

The French owned luxury hotel group SOFITEL provide NCPLH training to senior Managers and Staff. The Hotel groups Food & Beverage Training Manager...