Alcohol Licence Law Alcohol licence application

Published on August 9th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Alcohol License Application

Alcohol License Applications

Before applying for a personal license to sell alcohol by retail the applicant must hold a relevant licensing qualification. In England and Wales this is known as the Award for Personal License Holders (APLH) Level 2 and in Scotland the licensing qualification is known as the Scottish Certificate for Personal License Holders (SCPLH) Level 5.

An application for a personal license must be made to the Licensing Authority (England & Wales) /Licensing Board (Scotland). Licensing Authorities/Licensing Boards are departments of local councils. When applying for a personal licencs the applicant should apply to the Licensing Authority/Licensing Board where they live.

More information on applying for a personal license in Scotland can be found at

When applying for a personal license you will need to complete the appropriate application forms. These are available on request from the Licensing Authority/Licensing Board . In Engalnd & Wales these application forms can also be downloaded from the DCMS website.

Please note that an applicant’s full name including all forenames must be given on all documents in connection with the personal license application.

The completed personal license application form (300KB) must be accompanied by the following:

2 photographs (passport size) – one must be signed by someone of some standing within the community i.e. solicitor, accountant, police office, doctor, teacher, invigilator, minister of religion, bank or building society official or civil servant;
The fee of £37.00 (Cheques should be made payable to “Your Local Council”);
A Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration (this should state whether or not any relevant or foreign offences have been committed, including full details, were applicable).
There are several accredited awarding bodies who offer the licensing qualification for England, Wales and Scotland all of these licensing qualifications are accredited by the Secretary of State. The awarding bodies are as follows;

NCFE Level 2 Award for Personal License Holders APLH;
EDI Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders APLH;
HABC Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders APLH;
BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders APLH; or
EDI Level 5  Scottish Cretificate for Personal Licence Holders SCPLH
There are several awarding bodies for Scotland for more information please visit

There is a wide network of training providers who offer licensing qualifications including Personal Licence Training Limited who offer over 120 course dates nationwide, their web site can be found at;

The average cost of a personal licence training course is around £150.00 +VAT

Applicants who apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol also need to submit a basic criminal records check with their application. In order to meet this requirement you can apply on line to Disclosure Scotland. apply to Disclosure Scotland for a Basic Disclosure

If you do not have access to a computer your Local Council can provide you with the necessary application form and notes on completion. All applications cost £25.00

Please Note: Disclosure certificates (CRB checks) are only valid for 30 days and must be in date when your personal licence application is received by your local council. The Council cannot by law accept a certificate which is more than one calendar month old.

Please Note: Failure to submit all the required information will result in your application being returned to you by your local council. Personal Licence Training Limited also offer a licence processing service, they can process your personal alcohol licence for you for £295.00. This includes your training course, examination fee, Course material, CRB check, application fee to your Local Authority. You just get your personal licence in post.

Processing a personal licence application take approximately 4-6 weeks. In some cases licences can be issued sooner.


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Newspaper notices
Riots: Licensees urged to contact insurers

Licensees whose pubs have been hit by the riots are being urged to contact their insurance company for advice as...