Alcohol Licence Law Personal Licence

Published on August 20th, 2010 | by Dean Carr


Duties of a Personal Licence Holder

Change of Address

If you change address you must notify the Licensing Section at Stroud District Council as soon as reasonably practicable. Your licence must be returned with the notification and a new licence will be issued.

Note: Wherever in England and Wales you may now decide to live your licence will still be issued or renewed by the relevant council. Do not send your licence to any other licensing authority even if you are no longer resident in the issuing District. Failure to notify a change of address is an offence.

Duty to Produce Licence

You must produce your personal licence for examination by a Constable or an authorised officer of the Licensing Authority if requested whenever you are engaged in the supply or sale of alcohol. Failure to produce the licence for examination is an offence.

Theft, loss, etc of personal licence

Where your personal licence has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you may apply to the licensing authority for a copy of the licence. A fee is payable for this service.

Surrender of Licence

If you wish to surrender your personal licence you must return the licence to the licensing section of the issuing council together with a signed letter stating that you wish to surrender the licence.

Convictions after Grant of Licence

  • If you appear in court on a charge relating to a relevant offence, you must produce your licence to the court.
  • If you cannot produce your licence, you must notify the court that you are a personal licence holder.
  • If you are informed that you have been granted a personal licence after your first appearance in court, you must inform the court at the next hearing that you are now a personal licence holder.
  • Where you have produced your licence to the court, or notified them of its existence, you must also notify the court at your next appearance, if any of the following events have occurred:
  • You have made or withdrawn an application for renewal of your personal licence,
  • You have surrendered your personal licence,
  • Your personal licence has been renewed,
  • Your personal licence has been revoked
  • If you are convicted of a relevant offence the court may order the forfeiture or suspension of your licence. The court will notify the Licensing Section.
  • You are required to notify the Licensing Section of any convictions for a relevant offence.
  • The notification must provide the nature and date of conviction and the sentence imposed.
  • Your personal licence must be returned with the notification. Failure to make this notification is an offence.

Related External Links

Tags: ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Licensing laws
Alcohol Licence – How do I get one? A step by step guide.

This article is intended as a guide and not as a full explanation of alcohol licensing law. You can get...