Late Night Levy Late Night Levy

Published on August 18th, 2014 | by Dean Carr

Comments

Late Night Levy

What is a Late Night Levy?

A Late Night Levy can be imposed by a Local Council’s Licensing Authority to help raise monies to pay for policing and cleaning up after late night party goers in towns and cities across England and Wales. This is a local power that can be imposed by any Licensing Authority that wish to exercise their right to a Late Night Levy in their area. A Council Licensing Authority has the power to enforce a Levy at its choosing normally between the hours of midnight and 6am  for which ever day it chooses. The levy can only be charged to a premises that holds a premise licence allowing the sale of alcohol, and currently does not effect Late Night Refreshment venues such as Kabab shops, Pizza take a ways and late burger establishments.

Late Night LevyThe aim of the levy is to charge late night businesses such as pubs and clubs an additional fee for Policing the late night economy and to cover Council costs of clean up operations the following morning.  The cost of a late night levy is based upon the rateable value of a business premise and can range form between £299 up to £4,440 per anum dependent upon the business size and its rateable value. Full costings and a full report on the Late Night Levy can be downloaded in a Home Office document; Late Night Levy Report.

The extra revenue that is expected to be raised by the enforcement of Levy is spilt 70% – 30% A Councils Licensing Authority can retain up to 30% of the Levy charge and the remaining 70% is contributed towards Policing the vicinity.

Late Night Levy’s are expected to be introduced in July and August 2014 by some Local Councils.

More infomation on late night alcohol or late night refreshment licences can be sourced at www.premiselicence.com or for information on staff training and personal alcohol licences in England and Wales visit; www.personallicence.com or in Scotland visit; www.personallicencescotland.com

Tags: , , , , , , ,


About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188



Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Late Night Refreshment Licence
Late Night Refreshment Licence

Another Late Night Refreshment Licence for Papa Johns. Further to the successful late night refreshment licenses being granted for Papa...

Close