News Temporary event notice

Published on January 31st, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Mirfield’s Northorpe Hall gets green light for licence to stage functions

A CHARITY in urgent need of funding is celebrating after being given the green light to hold money-making functions.

Northorpe Hall Child and Family Trust was successful in its second bid for a licence enabling it to hire out its historic barn building and serve alcohol, despite objections from residents.

The Mirfield-based charity’s director Tom Taylor, said the decision made yesterday by Kirklees Council’s Licensing Panel, meant that the Trust would be able to make up for the thousands of pounds it will lose in funding this year.

The charity, which helps young people with mental health problems, expects to receive £7,500 less a month from central government funds from April.

Funding for the Trust’s child and youth counselling service is also being axed by the council and PCT, which means an additional loss of £5,900 a month.

Mr Taylor said after the decision: “It’s a relief and I’m pleased; this has been a really hard time for us.

“Last year we worked with 550 children in Kirklees and have provided 10,000 hours of support.

“We are making a real difference to the lives of these young people but we can’t survive on our own so we’ve had to look at other ways of raising money to continue our work.

“If we can get two functions a month we could raise something like an extra £12,000 a year and that would be fantastic.”

The council’s panel last November rejected the charity’s bid for a premises licence so it could hold events like weddings and parties in the listed building and barn.

The application was turned down on the grounds of noise nuisance and public safety after residents living nearby the hall at Northorpe Lane complained.

But a fresh panel was called to reconsider it after Mr Taylor appealed, claiming he had not been given the chance to respond from a late representation from a member of the public.

Neighbours yesterday packed into Huddersfield Town Hall to show their support both in favour of and against the charity’s plans for late-night events.

Objectors argued that previous functions had been disruptive, due to the increase in traffic and noise caused by music and revellers.

Beverley Sullivan said: “People have had some horrific evenings of unsupervised weddings before.

“We can’t get away from the noise and we don’t want to be in that situation again.”

Read More

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. Jo Taylor says:

    You will require a premises licence and a personal licence for this venture. A premises licence covers other licensable activities as well as the sale of alcohol by retail. You will need the licence for any type of entertainment that may take place at the events. Although you are not actually retailing alcohol on request at the event, as you will have charged a bulk price which will include an alcohol package, you will be selling it in a roundabout way.
    As to the duty on the champagne imported from France, I am unable to advise on the matter and you would be best seeking advice from Customs and excise.

    If you want any more advice regarding the premises and/or personal licence for the venue, you can contact the licensing consultants at Personal Licence Training Ltd and they will be able to advise you in more depth .

  2. Mike Chambers says:

    We are looking at taking on a country estate style property where we will hold weddings. The concept is to provide an ‘all inclusive’ style event, therefore one fee includes everything from the food to the flowers and most importantly the Alcohol (beer, wine & Champagne) If the alcohol is effectivly given away with the cost of the event do I need any type of license? We only plan a maximum of 12 weddings per year so not exactly big business!
    Also do I need to license the venue as it is only for private events by invitation only?
    Lastly if we are giving away the alcohol can we effectively bring in wine and champagne from France and not pay any duty

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Weston has its first crime free weekend in years

WESTON has enjoyed its first crime-free weekend in years, with not a single arrest being made. Town centre police Sergeant...