Premises Licence Personal licence holder

Published on June 28th, 2012 | by Dean Carr


Off Licence, Licence? How to obtain one.

An off licence is required to have two forms of licence under the licensing Act 2003 for England & Wales. A licence for the premises (the off licence) and a personal licence for the owner or person in day to day control of the off licence.

Personal licence training limited have reported an increase of off licence, licence applications in the first six months of trading for 2012. A spokes person for the company who specialise in acquiring new premises licence applications said, ” We have seen an increase of 38% on last years figures for new off licence applications, in May alone we secured over 40 new off licence applications from Yorkshire to Southampton and several in London and the West Midlands. The increase appears to be down to traders looking to add an additional stream of income to their excising business or expanding their established off licence business. We lost a large off licence retailer during the recession in November 2010. First Quench Retailing (FQR), which owned Threshers, Wine Rack, Victoria Wine, Bottoms Up and Haddows, went into administration and 6,300 jobs were lost.

The group had over 1400 off licence premises of which 1,000 stores where returned to landlords by the administrators. It’s is good to see a small increase in off licence and personal alcohol licence applications.”

The remaining 400 (FQR) off licence premises where taken over by London-based Venus Wine and Spirits who took over The Wine Rack off licence chain and West Midlands-based small property and discount stores business SEP Properties. they took on; Threshers, Bottoms Up, The Local and Victoria Wine brands.

If you would like some help and advice on opening a new off licence premises you can talk to the licensing team at personal licence training limited who will be more than willing to help with your proposal.



About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Premises licence application
Change of use leglislation

Use classes: A1 - Shops A2 - Financial and Professional Services A3 - Restaurants and Cafes A4 - Drinking Establishments...