News Alcohol licence Scotland

Published on February 22nd, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Pub loses licence for Old Firm day lock-in

THE landlord of a pub which supplied alcohol outwith licensed hours to 40 drinkers on the day of an Old Firm match has had his licence to sell alcohol suspended.

Renfrewshire Council’s licensing board suspended the personal licence of John Hendrie, manager of the Croft Bar in Northcroft Street, Paisley, after hearing evidence from Strathclyde Police.

The board also suspended the premises’ licence of the pub for four weeks in December in connection with the same incident.

As revealed by the Evening Times, the Croft Bar served alcohol from 11.30am on a Sunday last year.

It is illegal to do so before 12.30pm.

Strathclyde Police submitted a report to licensing chiefs which highlighted its concerns about the pub selling alcohol to 40 customers out of hours prior to the match between Celtic and Rangers which kicked off at 12.45pm on October 24.

The report said four members of staff were working on the day and that CCTV footage had not been made available by the pub manager.

Officers attended the Croft Bar at 12.20pm on that day, and found staff working and 40 customers inside drinking.

Two staff members admitted selling alcohol from behind the bar from 11.30am.

The report also outlined difficulties on the day of the incident and days following it in obtaining CCTV evidence recorded on the premises.

Source : Evening Times

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. Jo Taylor says:

    You are right. If the people are paying for ticket entry which will include alcohol then they are indeed paying for it in a roundabout way. Your employer would ideally require a personal licence and you would also need a temporary event notice for the premises if it does not already hold a premises licence.

  2. Anne Ketlewell says:

    my employer in the UK is holding an event for the public at an ice skateing rink,she is going to be serving alcohol and thinks she doesent need a personal license, ithink she does, she says as it is not being sold its ok, but as people are paying to come in then they are really….any thoughts or need more info? Thanks

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Pubwatch scheme
The Rovers Return in breach of the Licensing Act 2003?

A recent episode of Coronation Street raised an interesting question. In this episode the manager and his wife went on...