News Newspaper notices

Published on March 29th, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Restaurant hits back after drink licence blow

A RESTAURANT boss has hit back at police for trying to scupper his bid for a 24-hour alcohol licence.

The manager of the said police would rather shut down the town at 10pm than let pubs and restaurants ply their trade.

Sadik Ali was responding to criticism of his application for an all-day, all-night drink licence.

Wiltshire Police are objecting to the application, as reported last week.

They say that the Regent Circus area, where the restaurant is based, is already a hotspot for alcohol-related crime and disorder, and that the council should be considering reducing the scope of licences – not increasing them.

“Half the time police don’t know what they’re talking about,” said Mr Ali, 41.

“When we applied for a licence, you have to apply to eight different authorities. Only one objected. It was the police. We got no public objections.

“When you and me go to work, we go to graft. The police would rather shut down the town at 10pm.

“At the end of the day, we’re taxpayers and it’s our right. No one else objected to it. Just police.”

He said: “Most nights there’s hardly any police presence.

“They can’t just come out on duty and expect to sit around in their high-profile cars and not do anything.“ The restaurant, based in Victoria Road, already has permission to sell alcohol from 10am onwards, and as late as 3.30pm on some nights.

Mr Ali said the only reason he wants the licence is because during the big freeze last winter, a number of guests were stuck in the restaurant long after he was legally obliged to move them outside.

He wants the licence just in case such a situation arises again, and has no intention of extending his normal opening hours.

In the last five years, he has only had to call police three times, he said.

“It’s not like we’re getting trouble,” he said.

“This is their last stop. They get in a taxi and go home.

“We get the decent people, not the troublemakers.”

A decision on the application was due to be taken on Thursday.

But Mr Ali was late in appearing before the council’s licensing panel at the Civic Offices,and the meeting was postponed.

Police licensing officer Siân Kalynka, in her letter of objection to the application, said: “The premises is situated in an area that experiences high levels of alcohol -related crime and disorder due to several late night refreshment premises, a nightclub, a lap dancing club and a new, large late night venue.

“The hours of 24 hours a day, seven days a week would not improve the situation.

“And we are currently looking into other late night refreshment venues and the problems associated with them in the night time economy in Swindon town centre.”

Source : Swindon Advertiser

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188


  1. Jo Taylor says:

    Should you have concerns regarding this premises, you should contact the Licensing Officer at the council and advise them of what you think is happening. Indeed, if what you are saying is correct, they are in breech of their licence conditions and the Licensing department at the council will be able to investigate this and take the relevant action. If you are being disturbed by noise on a regular basis from the premises, you can contact the environmental health officer at the council and they too can investigate the matter and take relevant action if so required.

  2. John Turner says:

    If I have an Alcohol License in the UK, am I unable to become a Police Officer? I have completed an exam which will enable me to get an alcohol license if I apply for one. However, I heard that you are unable to be a police officer if you have an alcohol license, Is this true? because I need to know whether to send off for my license or not before applying to become a police officer. Any help is much appreciated!

  3. Sarah Soward says:

    Can anyone advise on a a premesis that has been given an alcohol and entertainment licence until 11.30pm but is continually open until sometimes 3am at weekends. I don’t know if drinks are actually being served after 11.30 but 3hours is a very long drinking up time!! Music can be heard in my front room and from the bedroom the sound of loud talking,laughing,shouting from their small garden/yard.

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Newspaper notices
Negligent pub landlord jailed for manslaughter after customer plunged down cellar steps

Jailed: Bar landlord David Bell was sentenced to two years in a rare case of gross negligence manslaughter A landlord...