Personal Licence Alcohol licence

Published on September 23rd, 2011 | by Dean Carr


Training for a personal licence to sell alcohol

Training for a personal licence to sell alcohol is a requirement by law under the licensing Act 2003 in England and Wales. To sell alcohol in Scotland training is also required under the Scottish licensing Act 2005. Alcohol licence training is typically a one day instructor led training course for both licensing qualifications. In England and Wales the licensing qualifcation is known as the APLH (Award for personal licence holders, which is a level 2 licensing qualification. In Scotland the licensing qualification is called the SCPLH (Scottish certificate for personal licence holders. Both qualifications will allow the holder to do the following;

  • Be named on the premises licence as the designated premises supervisor/premises manager (Licensee)
  • Sell alcohol by retail under a premises licence
  • Authorise the sale of alcohol from licensed premises (allow members of staff to sell alcohol)

If you are looking to run a pub, hotel, restaurant or any business that sells alcohol then you will require a licence. A licensed premises can not sell alcohol with out the authority of a designated premises supervisor or premises manager (Licensee).

The typical cost of a full personal licence to sell alcohol in the United Kingdom is around £295.00 and that personal alcohol licence is then valid for ten years. It is possible to just obtain a personal alcohol licence training certificate and then apply yourself this will lower the cost of the licence slightly, however you will still need to apply for your licence to your local authority and you will also be required to conduct a CRB check or in Scotland a PNC check is conducted on your application.

Finding a training course

Personal licence training Ltd offer over 120 APLH and SCPLH alcohol licence training courses every month at locations throughout the U.K. They can also process the full licence application on your behalf and help with your premises licence transfer or new premises licence application.

For more infomation on personal alcohol licence training courses please contact, Personal licence training Ltd

on Tel: 01527 544 780

or visit their website

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Personal Licence Training
PLT launch Premises Licence Application Packaging Service

Personal Licence Training Ltd (PLT) are set to introduce a new licence application service for solicitors and law firms. The...