Alcohol Licence Law Bar staff

Published on July 30th, 2012 | by Dean Carr


Do I Need A TV Licence in a Pub?

Your TV licence fee will be based on the number of accommodation rooms or mobile units you offer in which a TV receiver is installed or used.

To cover up to 15 units: Annual fee of £145.50.
To cover more than 15 units: Standard annual fee for the first 15 units, and an additional fee of £145.50 for every 5 units (or up to 5 units) above that. A premises with 17 television units, for example, will be charged £291.00 per year.

More than 2,700 businesses were caught watching TV without a licence across the UK during 2010 and 2011. A spokesperson for Alcohol said: “This is a problem with many new licensees who enter the pub trade. One licence for the pub does not cover your domestic area, so if you live above the premises, as many licensees do, you will need two TV licences. One for pub and one for your living area”. The same can also be said about hotels and guest houses, caravan parks etc. The rules are as follows:

TV Licensing is reminding other businesses to make sure they are aware of their licensing requirements, in order to avoid the risk of prosecution and a large fine. More information can be found on the TV Licensing website.

Licensees fined for commercial use of Sky domestic cards

Business owners must also remember not to use Sky domestic viewing cards, or similar, in commercial areas. Instead, a commercial licence should be set up. Six licensees have been heavily fined this month (October 2012) for using Sky domestic viewing cards in their pubs. Each has been given 14 days to pay damages of between £10,000 and £15,000.

Warning to Landlords as Pub Landlady is Fined for no TV Licence

Alcohol issue a warning today (30 July 2012) to pub landlords who have private and commercial TVs on licensed premises after a landlady has been fined for not having a television licence in her pub.

Samantha Jones, manager of The Clock Face Hotel in Kearsley , has been ordered to pay £865 by magistrates. She was fined £700 for the offence of using a TV without a licence on the business premises in Old Hall Street, Kearsley, Greater Manchester.

Jones, aged 39, was also ordered to pay £150 costs and a £15 victim surcharge after the case was proved in her absence at Wigan Magistrates Court yesterday. Any business that shows television, whether for customer use or in staff areas, must be covered by a valid TV licence. If there is living accommodation on the premises where a TV is also in use, this must be covered by a separate licence. Those without a valid licence are breaking the law and run the risk of a court prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000 per offence, plus costs.

Jenny Wilkinson, TV Licensing spokesman for the North, said: “We appreciate these are tough times for businesses, but to be fair to the majority who do pay the licence fee, we have to take action against those who watch TV illegally. As our survey shows, those businesses who do try to get away with it might find the price of being caught to be higher than just a fine. “We’d rather businesses think ahead and check if they need a licence than risk being prosecuted. A licence costs £145.50 and can be bought in minutes online at”

More information can be found on the TV Licensing website.

Tags: , ,

About the Author

Dean Carr

Dean has been involved in alcohol licensing for over 20 years and has helped many independent retailers and corporate clients obtain a licence to sell alcohol or offer late night refreshment, regulated entertainment from all sorts of premises. Dean writes articles for various trade related blogs and is currently Managing Director of the PLT group of companies who run APLH and SCPLH personal alcohol licence courses nationwide. You can contact Dean or a member of his expert licensing team on: 01242 222 188

Back to Top ↑

Read previous post:
Licensing conditions
Pub Licence Transfer Refused

The decision to transfer a premises licence for North Star pub, Laird Street, Birkenhead, was refused by the Licensing Authority...